Thursday 10 January 2013

Here's another Dallas-B

One of my favourite ukes. The Dallas-B, endorsed by George Formby and produced from the 1930's up to the 1950's. This one was in poor shape. The old varnish finish was chipped and worn, the flange was all bent, and the old skin was shot! Brian, the owner wanted it bringing back to life, so, as usual, the varnish was removed, all the metal work was polished up and a new Calf skin vellum was fitted. This is the 7th Dallas-B I've restored. They are great little uke's, well made and a joy to play. The finish was done with 4 coats of Tru-oil, gently sanded in between to give a smooth, slightly shiny result. These uke's are not too loud, and have a clear tone. I think the B model is the best out of the range. They are not heavy like the D & E, and compare well in sound to them too. Definitely one of my favourites, so much so I think I need one for my collection now! (even though I though I had enough banjo ukes)

2 comments:

  1. Simon.

    When I need to get my Wendell Hall brought back into tip-top shape, you KNOW where I'm going to send it. This and the last three entries are just tip-top work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my Dallas B and I am absolutely delighted with it. I came across Simon's site when I was looking for a uke last year. He gave me advice when I asked him about the Dallas B and I eventually found one on e-bay. Not in great shape then, but Simon has restored it to a playable instrument and something I will get lots of pleasure from. Thanks again Simon. And if anyone is reading this and thinking about restoring an old uke - you've come to the right place.

    ReplyDelete