Tuesday 6 November 2012

Melody Junior, made by GH & S

Here is a nice basic entry model. made by George Houghton & Sons, probably around 1930. Fitted with the box resonator and 6 tension hooks. it is similar in design to the Dallas-B. other ukes in the range included the Melody Minor & Melody Major. Playing wise, its a decent little uke. bit of a woolly sound to it. all in, its a very decent starter uke. Has the usual odd bit of tarnish on the bezel, but set up to last for a good while yet! if i look this good when i'm 70 i'll be happy
its now fitted with a new calf skin vellum and Aquila strings.

1 comment:

  1. I recently aquired a Melody Junior Banjo-ukelele in Bellville, South Africa. It was in a terrible state, but I managed to restore it completely, also with a spotless calfskin head a banjo-manufacturer (home grown) donated. Although the tuning pegs are a bit worn out - I can's find new bolts in the Cape as they are not metric but imperial - I manage to keep it in tune by putting in additional washers. I find that Stephen Foster's songs goes very well with this instrument. My diatonic harmonica in a harness around my neck provides the melody. Very good team work. I also find that many of Mozart's beautiful flute, harpsicord and violin peaces applicable to the diatonic harmonica works very well for this harmonica-banjolele combination. The resonator of the banjolele seems to be of wallnut. The instrument as a whole is an example of workmanship of a very high standard. On the machine head the following is printed in gold paint: Melody Junior Gallotone GH & S British Made. I made a box for it, and it is now a treasured part of my musical collection. - Marthinus van Bart, Doordekraal, Bellville. Republic of South Africa.

    ReplyDelete